Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Crosswinds ctd

Shawn, John, Helen, and I played hearts at this restaurant in Rush Center, where we slept last night. I didn't ever figure out what the place was called. I had to conceal my French accent, for obvious reasons. This was probably one of the least friendly places in Kansas, yet it was more friendly than most of the places in previous states.
Today is cloudy. It's not a gloomy cloudy, though (photo's underexposed). It's actually really relieving to not worry about the sun for a change. Kansas is still sweet.
We ran through some irrigation spray that was drifting over the road (thank you crosswind!). Didn't know if it was just water or if it had some wonderful pesticides in it, so I held my breath. The mist felt amazing in the 98 degree heat.
Ran into this guy yesterday, his name is Steven with a V (Hi-five!!!). He was smoking a cigarette on his way to Oregon. (Not so hi-five!!!) His daughters just graduated college, he divorced his wife, quit his job, and hit the road. (Can't say I've been there!!?) I wished him luck. I'm sure we'll meet again. He was not as creepy as this picture makes him out to be.
Gas station. Only in Kansas.

These guys made like we wanted to talk. We were kinda preoccupied with the whole riding across the country thing. Sorry guys.
Sunrise on the road


Tourist shot. This photo was taken right after splitting up with Shawn and John. They went ahead after I took that photo of le turtle.

The Adventure that was Yesterday, continued (but it was really the day before yesterday, you feel me?)

Aaron had told me that they'd prolly get a late start: roll into Hesston no later than 9.

I woke up at 6 just to get out of the church premises before people started showing up in the morning, and I somehow packed everything on my bike in 15 minutes flat. It normally takes me 30 or 45 to get all the stuff rolled up, stuffed in, and bungeed to the bike. I felt like superman.
I went back to the park and ate, read 50 pages of On the Road, stared wishfully at the now dormant ring of water, and did some sketching. Aaron called me before 9 to let me know they'd be running a little late, and that they hadn't left the house of some TransAm vets that'd put them up for the night.


By 10, I was getting a littly impatient, especially because the sun was starting to get really hot, and I was sitting in my tight clothes, so I wouldn't make them wait when they arrived. At 11, I gave them a call to see where the heck they were, but again, nobody answered. By 1130, I decided to roll. I didn't have a clue where they were- they might still be on their way, or they had passed through and hadn't been able to reach my phone or something. Either way, it was getting late, I had been up for more than 5 hours, and I didn't want to have to ride too late.


I got on the bike and rode a couple miles down the road before realizing that I had probably missed my turn. I cussed a little bit and turned around. It was almost 12, and I didn't have much food, so I decided to wait till 12 at the grocery store for it to open.
5 minutes to open, sitting on the curb reading, Shawn and John roll up. Aparently they had gotten some flats and had some trouble getting ready and whatnot, and hadn't left until 11. The rest showed up shortly, and we left half an hour later.
Lesson learned. Don't get split up. I type this now, after riding ahead of the group to the Library in Ness City. The others said they'd be coming. We shall see yes?
Road to Sterling. Not supremely interesting. Sterling was pretty sweet, though. The last 5 miles were straight North, with the wind. We flew. 28 on the flats, 35 on the not-really-downhills. Got there JUST as the pool was closing, so we surveyed the lake for "No Swimming" signs, saw none, and jumped in.
John was on the shore when a woman came up to him, told him about the $300 fine for swimming, and he yelled at us just as a cop rolled up, smoking a cigarette, and walks up to John. We drag ourselves out, trudge over to the cop, who's now jotting some stuff down on his pad-thing. He got our names and info and gave us a warning.
He really didn't care, he actually swam in the lake when he was a kid. Aparently all the poop and stuff gives people infections when they go in it. Shower, cook, rogue sleep in the shelter. Up at 4AM to catch up with the rest, who had ridding until 2AM, 50 miles down the road. Crazy kids.
Steven
07-08-08
Ness City, KS
60 more miles to go.

No comments: